R sound articulation can make speech therapy feel overwhelming. Where do you start? What do you target next? How do you actually get your student to say the R sound!? Teaching R helps speech therapists navigate those questions using a systematic approach. It is a step-by-step, easy-to-follow, program to target the R sound. It targets vocalic R, initial R, and R blends (even with a special section for RL blends). Teaching R now includes teaching visuals for both bunched and retroflex R, informational handouts, and homework sheets for added support to take the stress out of treating R.
***Updated on 10/8/2021- If you purchased Teaching R before this date, please redownload and enjoy the updated version for no extra cost!***
Check out this blog post and my in-depth Q&A saved in the instagram highlights on my page for more R insights. You can also use these helpful videos on youtube.
I strongly encourage you to check out the GROWING R BUNDLE!
You buy it once and you download future R resources I add
It includes the full Teaching R resource and lots of other tools to help your R students overcome common obstacles and finally graduate from speech!
↠ Please note: If you own Eliciting R, there is an overlap between the two resources, but that are intended to each be their own stand-alone resource. Teaching R is an approach to teach every variation of R from start to finish. Eliciting R is a deep dive into achieving that first R sound, no matter what it is!
For more information, please read the detailed descriptions and watch the preview videos for both resources if you would like more information on the differences. If you still have any questions, I’m happy to help! You can leave questions on TpT, DM me on Instagram, or send me an email at [email protected].
○ “It works!”
○ “I love, love, LOVE this! Even if the student doesn’t retroflex, this material is useful!”
○ “WHERE HAS THIS VISUAL BEEN ALLLL MY (SLP) LIFE?! Very helpful visual cues!”
○ “I can’t tell you how many of my kiddos have been successful with this method!”
○ “I’ve only just started using it, but have already seen success with it!”
○ “This helped some of my elementary kiddos get their ‘ar’ and ‘er’ right away, after weeks of unsuccessful trying!”
○ “Start Here” document
- How to use this resource
- Bunched vs retroflex stimulability check
- Teaching R Map
- Organization tips
- Binder spans and tabs
○ TWO 196 page Teaching R documents- one for retroflex R and one for bunched R. Each document includes:
○ Links to video explanations and demonstrations of the visuals and target pages.
○ Helpful Handouts
- R Pep Talk
- The 8 Types of R
- There are 2 Ways to Say R
○ R Pre-Checks
- Auditory Discrimination
- Parts of My R Machine
- Front / Back Concepts
- Up / Down Concepts
- Wide / Skinny Concepts
○ Step-by-step visuals and in-depth cues to FINALLY get that retroflex R
○ 8 pages of teaching materials and visuals for final and medial AR
○ 14 pages of practice materials for AR
○ 2 pages of teaching materials and visuals for final and medial ER
○ 14 pages of practice materials for ER
○ 4 pages of teaching materials and visuals for all vocalic R
○ 14 pages of practice materials for EAR
○ 14 pages of practice materials for AIR
○ 14 pages of practice materials for IRE
○ 14 pages of practice materials for ER
○ 14 pages of practice materials for OR
○ 6 pages of practice materials for mixed final vocalic R
○ 8 pages of practice materials for mixed medial vocalic R
○ 3 additional pages of practice materials for all mixed vocalic R
○ 4 pages of teaching materials and visuals for prevocalic R
○ 5 pages of practice materials for prevocalic R
○ 8 pages of teaching materials and visuals for R blends
○ 4 pages of practice materials for R blends
○ 3 pages of teaching materials and visuals for RL blends
○ 2 pages of practice materials for RL blends
○ Extra “Bonus” Handouts
- Blank practice pages
- Additional cueing strategies for elicitation
○ A “combined” retroflex & bunched document for easy printing
○ This resource is NO PREP! Just print and go – or pull it up on your device for no print.
○ Make it NO PRINT by pulling it up on your tablet!
● VIP Emails : Get access to my freebie library, exclusive deals, and therapy tips!
● Instagram : I’m here most often – therapy ideas, Q&A’s, and daily life!
● Blog : Find helpful ideas and reviews for your therapy room!
● Youtube ● Pinterest ● Facebook ●
This resource is copyrighted by Lindsey Hockel, MS, CCC-SLP, owner of ©Speechy Things™ . Purchase of this item is intended for use by a single customer and is not to be shared with other professionals. If someone is interested in this resource, please direct them to my store. You are, however, welcome and encouraged to send pages home with students as needed. Thank you for your support and understanding!